Previous - Shushan, NY ~ Salem District NO. 6 School House Museum ~ 2011 ~ CP113003

Shushan NY ~ Shushan Covered Bridge Museum ~ 2011 ~ CP113002

Next - North Hoosick Falls, NY ~ Delaney Hotel ~ 2011 ~ CP113001
Shushan NY ~ Shushan Covered Bridge Museum ~ 2011 ~ CP113002 ~ Richard Clayton Photography ~ Cambridge Photo

Located in the hamlet of Shushan, NY is housed in an old covered bridge built in 1858 by the Stevens Bros. The bridge is of Town Lattice Truss construction, 161 feet long. The Town Lattice truss design was one of about 20 wooden bridge truss types developed during the 19th Century. Patented January 1, 1820 by Ithiel Town, an architect from Bridgeport, Connecticut, it was extensively promoted by him throughout the south. By 1840 it had become one of a few standard types chosen by local builders because of its ease of construction. The bridge was abandoned by the county as a bridge in 1962 and sat in disrepair for over ten years until it was saved by the Shushan Covered Bridge Association, Inc which converted it into a museum. A collection of period machinery and farm implements, many in working order, are used by visitors for hands on demonstrations.

Also See:   Shushan Covered Bridge Museum   
Share this image on FaceBook Share this image on Twitter Share Link :
Image: 84 of 108 Add A Comment Back to Search List Back to Galleries Menu

User Comments